Can I request access to restricted records or records less than 20 years old?

Archives over 20 years old are generally open to the public for research, unless the classification level of Strictly Confidential (or related) applies. 

  • If you are seeking access to records less than 20 years old and/or classified, there is a process whereby such requests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, subject to the written consent of the originating office. 
  • Requests for access must be made in writing to the UN Geneva Archives.  
  • As the process requires the review and consent of Secretariat departments, researchers should allow sufficient time for a decision to be reached. 

We advise our clients to ask an archivist to be provided with more detailed practical information on how to access restricted records and records less than 20 years old.

Comments (0)


Need more information? Ask Us!

Submit your question below

Your question
Your info
Fields marked with * are required.

Date and views

Last Updated: Apr 29, 2020  Views: 5

Related Topics

Create ticket